The Cochin Golf Club was established in 1922 and is located at the historically important Bolghatty Palace grounds. The palace was built by the Dutch in 1744 A.D and is on the Bolghatty Island, just a 5 minute boat ride from the heart of Cochin city. The island is also connected by a bridge with the mainland now. The course is bordered by the expansive Vembanad Lake on three sides.
In 1909 the palace and the grounds were leased to the British. It became the official home of the governors and residents and a golf course was laid out on the grounds for their exclusive use.
Later the course was opened to the public as a compact 9 holes course with the present club house as its registered office in the year 1922. The palace is now a hotel run by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation.
The Cochin Golf Club celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1997 and has various memberships like Ordinary, Life, Institutional, Honorary and the recently introduced Student membership. The club has over 450 members in all.
Play is restricted to mornings on all days, except on Mondays. However the number of players who play on week days is low; most players play on the week-end mornings.
The club has as many as 19 rolling trophies to be contested for every year which includes a Cochin Open. Some of the Trophies like The Richardson Cup and The Cotton Tankard are dated as far back as 1925.